Monday, March 26, 2012

Garden (part one)

It's late and I don't have much time to write this, but I wanted to go ahead and get it going since it will be an ongoing post. This winter I casually mentioned to Derek that "I would like to have a salsa garden or something this summer" imagining in my head a small planter box with a few different veggies growing on the back patio... well if you know anything about my husband, then you know when he heard "salsa garden" he imagined something quite different. Of course he jumped at the opportunity to get started on an outdoor project and began planning the garden in January. It was a long process, mostly consisting of Derek spouting off a ton of information (in what may as well have been another language) and me just smiling and nodding like I had a clue. I'm pretty sure he caught on to the fact that I did NOT have a clue when I asked him how to water a garden yesterday :)

Anyway, after MUCH planning and intensive labor (all Derek) we have the beginnings of our garden, and I am so terrified excited!!! I have no idea what I'm doing, but Derek has promised to help me (from the middle of the ocean) learn along the way. At least if I screw it all up he won't be here to see it right?

Progression of our very first garden:
I wish I had pulled out my camera sooner because this first photo definitely skips a few steps. This was taken after he had dug out all of the grass with a shovel and then tilled the ground with a rented tiller. It was a 3 day process.  

Here he is building a border to keep the weeds out


After the border, before the soil was added. 

He worked so hard on this, I am so lucky :)

Today he added the trellis for the tomatoes and beans, and a couple of cages for the cucumbers. This is also after the soil was added and the seeds were planted. 

Cage for cucumbers

Close up of trellis

Details. Derek made these markers out of recycled milk jugs. 

We got tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants as plants the rest we are starting from seeds. 

I didn't help much with setting up the garden, but I did learn how to cut the grass, which I did today. 

After all of our hard work we threw
some steaks on the grill :) 

I will be posting all summer about the garden as it grows and keeping a progress report. Here's to praying there will be something to report. lol

4 comments:

  1. it looks so good! i wish i had a yard to have a garden as well... even though i have no clue how to grow anything. haha. im trying to grow herbs... we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME Mandy...I will be showing it to Weston and telling him to get on it;) You are such a great example for other wives and moms! Again, I admire you! I know Derek is leaving soon, and just wanted to say you all will do awesome, God has chosen you for this, and TRUST ME when I say it isn't that bad, and God will bring so many blessings to your life through this! It truly was worth the speration, if for nothing than just making you love each other more!!!!:) Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job Derek did! This is awesome!! Good luck on growing your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you need a good recipe for Salsa i have one. i am down to only 2 jars left from my labor this past summer. i love planting & using only what i grow in my salsa. bell pepper is expensive!
    and i can totally help you with any questions you might have with the gardening. it's fun! and your kids at their ages will have a blast helping. my little ones do. i'm ready to get my seeds in the ground. we started everything from seeds this year except onions. i bought those already started.

    ReplyDelete